Happy New Decade! It's hard to believe that the Teens are here. And without fail, with the popping of the last bottle of bubbly on January 1st, the anticipation of the start of the year is right before our eyes. While a new year almost always stirs up anxious feelings of new beginnings and goals, a new decade takes those emotions to the next level. However, after all that we were dealt in 2009, I think a new decade sounds glorious - and I say, Bring It On.
This is the time of year when we reflect on the last year and look forward to the next. And this year, instead of dwelling on the past (I've already given you my Top Ten back in September), I am looking straight ahead with excitement - and yes, I'm talking about in the food world. One of the best aspects of living in New York City is knowing that my list of restaurants to try will never run dry. At times it can feel as though the list gets a little shorter and other times, a little longer (usually dependent on the size of the wallet). But, at the end of the day, there is always a list - and one that without even visiting the restaurants often makes my mouth water.
And so without further ado, I give you the Hungry Roach Top Ten Line Up for 2010. Below you will find restaurants that passed me by in 2009. Some of these are old, however, most are new - spanning cuisines throughout the world. For very different reasons which I briefly explain below, these restaurants have all caught my attention. As I visit each and every in upcoming months (that would be this year's resolution as well as making yoga part of my weekly routine), I will of course share my experiences with you. However, in the meantime, I encourage you to venture out and try out these spots. No guarantees except for satisfying a little curiosity. And after all, curiosity is what has probably powered me through life thus far.
Here's to 2010, the Teens, and New Year's Resolutions that keep us active, curious, and eating well!
(And, as always, thanks to Brian of the Blue Hour for his amazing photography!)
THE HUNGRY ROACH TOP TEN LINE UP FOR 2010:
1) The Breslin - Sister to the Spotted Pig. The latest in the gastropub scene, highlighting all exotic meats, but in a grander setting.
2) Minetta Tavern - A revival of the 1930's tavern by Keith McNally. The burger and speakeasy ambiance must be worth the wait.
3) Dos Toros Taqueria - West Coast Mexican. A simple, affordable menu of tacos, burritos, and quesadillas transporting you straight to the sun.
4) Queens Chinatown - Asia in Flushing. Cheaper and even more authentic than Canal Street with vendors scattered throughout malls.
5) Momofuku Ko - A real treat with only 12 seats. This may be a splurge, but with Michelin's 2 star rating, this fusion feast should be well worth it.
6) Motorino - Neapolitan pizza at its best. Started in Williamsburg and now open in Manhattan - the hunt for the best NYC pizza continues.
7) Marlow & Sons- Williamsburg's American bistro next door. I am almost embarrassed to admit I haven't eaten here. No excuse. Enough said.
8) Flex Mussels - Seafood on the UES. I am always looking for an excuse to venture uptown, especially when excellent reviews of seafood are involved.
9) Maialino - Danny Meyer's latest. Swanky Italian at the Gramery Park Hotel - dress up just a tad and treat yourself right in 2010.
10) The Standard Grill - Another bustling hotel restaurant. With the opening of the High Line, the setting, scene, and attractive bistro-fare has drawn me in.